Friday, May 29, 2009

Saturday, I miss you...

I have to work tomorrow. I really, really hate working Saturdays. Typically it's once every three weeks that I'm scheduled to work a Saturday, but tomorrow will be the fourth week in a row I've had to go in. And then my scheduled Saturday is the following week, so that will be five in a row.
I disliked the sound of my alarm going off, and having to drag myself out of bed on the sixth day bad enough when it was only every so often. Sure, ask me any other day of the week, and I'd say, "It's not so bad, it's only every third Saturday I have to work." But when that particular morning rolls around, I grumble and moan, and drag my feet, and I'm just plain grumpy for the better part of the day.
There have been weekend shifts that have been to my benefit in the past. Sometimes you get lucky and make pretty good hours. One weekend I even had the pleasure of getting a MD state inspection on a Viper. I feel if this were a more common occurrence (the hours, not the Viper, although I wouldn't object to Viper inspections every weekend), I genuinely would not mind as much, but my recent experiences have done nothing to persuade me that working an occasional Saturday is any good for anyone.
My major complaint here is that lately, even with the extra day, I can't seem to turn a 40 hour week. Even the past couple weeks I've gone in out of turn, it was only to add a few more hours to an already miserable week. This trend began before the whole collapse of the auto industry thing, so I can't simply blame it on that. I am also aware that some of the other guys in the shop still do pretty well for themselves despite the economy, and without the need to cut every weekend in half. I can't figure out if there is something I need to do differently, or if I need to address management about it, but something has to change. I want my weekend back...

No comments:

Post a Comment