Friday, May 1, 2009

I think there's a problem...

     They say to write what you know, and what I know most about at this point are cars and video games. However, apart from my work at the dealership, the most I know about cars that are actually interesting is from what I read on the internet or see on Top Gear. My first-hand experience is limited to warranty complaints from customers who don't take the time to learn how the features of their new cars work. That or how I think some of the engineers like to design cars blindfolded. This turns most of what I might write about into the annoyed ranting of an elitist mechanic, but that isn't how I would like to portray myself. 
     I enjoy doing the work I do, there is a great satisfaction in seeking out someone's concern, identifying the cause, and knowing how to correct it. Having the ability to disassemble major components of the vehicle and putting it all back together so it barely looks as though it was disturbed at all feels like a major accomplishment. 
     The problems lie in the types and (lack of) quantity of jobs. I won't cite specific examples here, because I'll get all rant-y again, but please if you have a new car, spend some time with it. Not just driving here or there, just sit in it for a while, wherever you keep it parked. Play with all the buttons and knobs and gizmos, find out what everything is and does. You aren't going to mess anything up. It's always reversible, you just need to find the right button again, which if you play around long enough, you will. Of course I'll mention that the owner's manual will tell you what to do if you're really stumped, but given most people's propensity to learn by doing, the best solution I can offer is to just play.
   

3 comments:

  1. That's called spelunking ... heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed that the Owners Man for my Lincoln, with all it's gadgets and gizmos, is over 300 pages long! Some of the radio controls are really whacked and obsolete, I had to read the Manual to figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Nate sent me a link to your blog, so that I can follow it. You can find mine, by using the link in Nate's blog--Rogers Southern Ramblings. Hope you are doing well. Grandpa Roger

    ReplyDelete